Wireless Acceptable Use Policy
The City of La Crosse offers free filtered wireless Internet access (“Wi-Fi System”) for the use primarily by vendors and visitors to City facilities. This Wi-Fi End User Acceptance Agreement (“Agreement”) governs each party’s rights and responsibilities relating to the use of the Wi-Fi System. BY LOGGING ON TO THE WI-FI SYSTEM, YOU REPRESENT THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, you may not use the Wi-Fi System.
Access to Wi-Fi System
By using the Wi-Fi System, you acknowledge:
- that the Wi-Fi System may not be uninterrupted or error-free;
- that viruses or other harmful applications may travel through the Wi-Fi System;
- that The City of La Crosse does not guarantee the security of the Wi-Fi System and that unauthorized third parties may access your computer or files or otherwise monitor your connection;
- that the Wi-Fi System is provided “as is” and on an “as available” basis, without warranties of any kind , whatsoever;
- that The City of La Crosse may change access codes, usernames, passwords, filtered websites or other settings necessary to access the Wi-Fi System at any time;
- that you assume all risk associated with your activities conducted online through the Wi-Fi System and assume all liability and damages incurred by yourself, The City of La Crosse, or a third party that arise or result from your activities conducted online through the Wi-Fi System, whether known or unknown at the time of use.
Use of the Wi-Fi System shall not be construed as creating a relationship of any kind between The City of La Crosse and any user of the Wi-Fi System. This Agreement shall be governed, interpreted and construed according to the laws of the State of Wisconsin.
Usernames and passwords, if required, will be distributed to users on an as needed basis and will be valid for a length equivalent to the business need. Usernames and passwords, if required, will be obtained from the IT department.
Acceptable Use of Wi-Fi System
This Agreement is intended to prevent unacceptable uses of the internet. The City of La Crosse does not actively monitor the use of the Wi-Fi System under normal circumstances. Access to the Wi-Fi System may be denied, blocked, suspended, or terminated by The City of La Crosse at any time for any reason including but not limited to, violation of this Agreement, actions that may lead to liability for The City of La Crosse, and violation of applicable local, state or federal laws or regulations. The City of La Crosse will fully cooperate with law enforcement upon receipt of notice that use of the Wi-Fi System is in violation of applicable law.
Activities conducted online through the Wi-Fi System shall not violate any applicable law or regulation or the rights of The City of La Crosse or any third party. Examples of prohibited activities include, but are not limited to:
- Spamming and Invasion of Privacy
- Intellectual Property Rights Violations
- Obscene or Indecent Speech or Materials
- Defamatory, Threatening, Abusive or Harassing Language
- Distribution of Internet Viruses, Trojan Horses or other Destructive Activities
- Interfering with or disrupting the Wi-Fi System or servers or networks connected to the Wi-Fi System, or disobeying any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Wi-Fi System
- Any other actions that may otherwise be unlawful or inappropriate
Wireless Privacy and Security
Users are advised that wireless Internet connections such as provided by this Wi-Fi System are not secure. Communications may be intercepted by others. It is the user’s responsibility to install and deploy any additional technological tools that they may deem necessary to protect sensitive communications and data. Security of Service user’s computers or other networked device is the responsibility of the user. The City of La Crosse suggests the installation of anti-virus software or personal firewall technology to protect the device from unauthorized access or damage.
You shall defend, indemnify and hold The City of La Crosse and its officers, elected officials, employees, contractors, vendors, and agents harmless from and against, and shall promptly reimburse them for any and all losses, claims, damages, settlements, costs, and liabilities of any nature whatsoever (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) to which any of them may become subject arising out of, based upon, as a result of, or in any way connected with, your use of the Wi-Fi System or any breach of this Agreement.
Limitation of Liabilities
Users of the Wireless System use the service at their own risk. The City of La Crosse and its officers, elected officials, employees, contractors, vendors, and agents are not liable for any costs or damages arising, either directly or indirectly, from your use of the Wi-Fi System or the Internet, specifically including any direct, indirect, incidental, exemplary, special, punitive or consequential damages.
By clicking "Click for WiFi Access" on the splash page, you are acknowledging you agree to the terms above.